Saturday, July 5, 2014

Unable To Resist by Cassie Graham with Excerpt, Playlist, Character Casting, 8 Fun Facts & Review


Title: Unable to Resist
Author: Cassie Graham
Release Date: June 10, 2014
Find on Goodreads



Synopsis:
Ann is haunted by a past that won’t let go. The secrets lurking in Arizona are too much to handle, making a move to Nashville her best chance of survival. Her bakery is enough to keep her mind busy during the day, but the night brings nightmares that threaten to rip her in two. Tired of just living life rather than experiencing it, she’s ready to fight her demons and emerge the victor.

Only—she doesn’t know how to do that alone.

Duane has a lot on his plate. A lawyer for a prestigious law firm and a ranch owner, he hardly has enough time to breathe, let alone date. But all of that changes when he meets Ann.

A chance encounter at a bar brings them together, but it’s fate that shoves them into each other’s lives for reasons they will soon unveil together.

Can Ann open her heart and let Duane in?


Unable to Resist is a story about love, loss and finding healing in unlikely places.



 

Excerpt: 
As I walk through the bar to leave, I dig to find my phone in my pocket. With my head down, perusing the countless emails that beckon me in the real world, I don’t see the person I nearly plow over.
“Oh, my God. Shit, I’m sorry—fuck. Are you alright?” I question, grabbing her arm to keep her from biting the big one and face planting.
The most stunning eyes find mine when I pull her up.
It’s her. Ann.
What are the damn odds?
She wobbles a bit and I bring my arms around her waist to keep her upright. She blushes and puts her hands on my chest to steady herself. Warmth spreads through me in their wake.
Biting her lip, she laughs, looking nervous. “I—I’m sorry, I didn’t see you there.”
I peer down at her and smile. “Darlin’, you didn’t do anything wrong. I ran into you. You okay now?”
Awkwardly, she pats my chest a few times, showing a little bit of her goofy side. “Yes, thank you.”
She’s still patting my chest, and I clear my throat. A bright crimson color spreads across her cheeks and she tucks a strand of hair behind her ear, taking a step back.
The wind picks up a bit, causing that piece of hair to move into her face. I resist the urge to take it in my fingers to feel the softness.
She giggles and looks up at me. “Well, thank you for...catching me.”
I tip my invisible hat. “Anytime, ma’am. You have a good night.”
She waves and turns on her heel to leave, and damn if I don’t want to let her go just yet. I look down at my watch. Eleven-thirty. Crap.
“Hey, Ann,” I call out, despite the fact that I should have been home at least twenty minutes ago.
If you’re going to do something, do it all the way, right?
She turns to face me with a big, maybe, hopeful smile on her face. “Yeah?”
“You were absolutely stunning in there.” I point my thumb toward the building. “Really, your voice is amazing.”
She looks down at her boots and kicks the dirt.
There’s those boots again. Dammit.
“Thank you. I could have killed Rylie for making me do that.”
You wouldn’t tell from her performance. She’s a natural.
“You should thank him. You have a magnificent voice,” I praise, taking a step toward her.
Blush appears on her face once again. “You’re too kind, but that’s very sweet of you to say.” She pauses and her eyes sparkle in the moonlight. “I didn’t catch your name.”
Taking my hand out of my pocket, I wipe the moisture on my jeans and stick it out to shake hers. “Duane. It was nice to meet you, Ann.”
She takes my hand in hers and it fits perfectly—like a puzzle piece.
“It was my pleasure, Duane.”
I smile and nod my head. “Night.”
She waves and walks toward the entrance.
Looking back one more time, I’m not ashamed to admit I openly gawk at her the entire way.
With a knowing smile, she waves once more and goes inside, leaving me alone in the parking lot.
With a bit of a spring in my step, I head toward my truck, whistling like a moron.

The night turned out to be much better than I anticipated.

Character Casting:

Playlist:


8 Fun Facts about Unable to Resist:
Ann is Cassie’s middle name and Duane is Cassie’s husband’s middle name.

Ann is originally from Arizona, as is Cassie.

Cassie has an intense love for baking, which is why she decided to write Ann as a baker.

For most of her life, Cassie rode and showed horses. She felt like she had to write a badass cowboy because they are seriously amazing.

The song, Unable to Resist was written by Cassie and her best friend April.

Liv and Mia are both based on Cassie’s best friends, April and Sandra.

Jason was inspired by her friend, David.

Originally, Unable to Resist was set in Seattle, and Duane wasn’t a lawyer, he was an author.

My Review: 4 1/2 stars
This is a fabulous first book for Cassie! I really enjoyed getting to know Duane and Ann. They were great people with a lot to offer. I really enjoyed their growth throughout the book, and they way they were with each other. They both went through a lot in their lives, especially Ann. I loved how Duane was, that he fought for what and who he wanted. I loved the easy banter between all of the characters, and the laughter that came so easy while reading this story. Ann may not have had it easy, but she was 100% genuine in everything she did. There was heartbreak, some mystery and some serious chemistry between Duane and Ann. They were fantastic together. I can't wait to see what Cassie has in store for us next. This was well written, had fantastic characters and a story line that kept us moving along at a very nice pace. I couldn't put it down. 




Author Bio:

Cassie Graham is first and foremost, a wife and mother. She has one crazy daughter and a just as nutters husband that she loves dearly. She lives in sunny--all be it, scorching Arizona, where the summers are ridiculously hot and the winters are perfection. She'd pick winter any day.
Cassie went to school to be a teacher, but quit to become a proud military wife in 2010. During that time, she found her passion to write. Being a loud and proud choirgirl in school, she needed another creative outlet and writing seemed like the perfect fit.

If Cassie isn't writing, she's more than likely cooking for her family or has her nose buried deep in a book. She finds inspiration in all things. Movies, music, and life fuel her characters’ lives, and she wouldn't have it any other way.






No comments:

Post a Comment