Fighting for someone’s heart is more challenging than fighting for a title.
For a time, many years ago, love had grown, love was made, and in the end … love was lost. The decision to leave had been the worst mistake Shelby Dawson could have ever made. However, at the time—ten years ago—she felt her secret needed to stay hidden, even if it broke her heart and the heart of the man she loved. Back then, he was all hers and she was all his, but now things have changed and he isn’t the same guy she knew.
He happens to be the well-known MMA Heavyweight champion and famous bad boy, Matt ‘The Destroyer’ Reynolds, who once before struggled to help his family pay the bills. Now, he has money flowing with each undefeated win and an insurmountable number of women filling his bed. Everything is perfect for the illustrious fighter, until one day it all changes. In walks the girl from his past, the same girl who promised to stick by him but left and never looked back.
Their second chance to make things right will not come easy, for when one mistake is made an unwelcome consequence soon follows. Someone out there wants to rip them apart and they won’t stop until Matt and Shelby pay the ultimate price … their love.
My Review: 5 stars
What a story. Love, loss, revenge, betrayal, reconciliation, hot MMA fighters and a sexy writer - sounds like a winning combination to me. It really was. I loved the way that Matt came back into Shelby's life and didn't want to let go. I also loved that Shelby realized at once that once Matt was back in her life, she didn't want anyone else. I wanted to kick the crap out of Kyle, but that got taken care of by both Shelby and Matt. I really enjoyed catching up Mason and hearing about Claire. I always like it when previous characters in the series come back. There were bumps and bruises, hurt feelings and lies of omission to overcome, but Matt and Shelby both want the same thing, right? Sometimes it takes a bit longer when you’re fighting for what you ultimately want. It doesn’t help when there seems to be a psychopath trying to ruin what you’re trying to get back to. Oh, and there’s a huge secret that one person in the relationship doesn’t know about. Will the other be forgiven? And can they overcome the obstacles to be where they truly belong? I truly love this series about the bad boys of MMA and the women who love them. L.P. has done a fantastic job writing about these great guys who lead a challenging life. The story lines are diverse and she keeps it fresh with a different perspective in each book. I think this is my favorite series that she’s written so far. I really don’t want it to stop and am looking forward to the next book in the series.
10 Favorite Quotes from Fighting For Love
- “All I wanted was to hate you, but now that you’re right here in front of me I just hate myself because I still can’t. No matter how hard I tried, I could never get you out of my mind.”
- I wanted him again, but then I knew I shouldn’t. I had to remember that so many other women had tasted his lips and felt his body between their legs while my heart ached. Although, it wasn’t a full day ago that I was in the arms of another man; kissing him, and vowing to myself that I was going to try and get over my past. It was a vow I knew I couldn’t keep.
- “Okay, so I’ve made mistakes, but so have you,” he pointed out. “I’m pretty sure you didn’t stay innocent over the years, either. Right now I’d say we’re both fifty shades of fucked up. The question is … what are we going to do about it?”
- With his hands caressing my back, his breath tickled my skin when he murmured in my ear, “You will be mine tonight, angel. Your body, your lips … all mine.” “For how long?” I whispered back, shivering from his touch. “One night? Two?” I had to know what he wanted. He nipped my earlobe with his teeth and a deep rumble sounded in his chest. “I want you always, but I’ll settle for as long as you want to give me. Whether that be one night, two, or fifty years. It’s all up to you.”
- “Let me loose in a den of wolves, huh? Little does Ryan know I’m not a little lamb,” she thundered. “I’m also not a model. What if I suck?” “You’ve never sucked at anything, Shelby. Just don’t get too comfortable with the guys, okay? I’m sure once we leave here word will spread they got to put their hands on what’s mine without getting their heads smashed in.” “And who says I’m yours? I don’t think I gave you an answer yet,” she teased. “However, you did ask me to come here with you, so if I get excited being touched by your fellow fighters then it’s all your fault. I’m starting to think I might enjoy it.”
- She loved to tease me; she always had, but I fucking loved it. Her torture would come soon, and I was going to make sure she begged before I gave her what she wanted.
- Sliding the box of strawberries to my side, I grabbed one of the dark chocolate ones and rubbed it across her swollen lips. “Sweetheart, I don’t think this is torture, but I am getting ready to show you what torture is.”
- “It just feels like every step forward we take there’s always something that tries to hold us back.” “And that’s why we’ll keep pushing,” he murmured low. “Nothing is going to hold us back because I’m not going to let it. I’ll fight for what’s mine, and you, my angel, are mine.”
- “I want to be the only man to have the privilege of touching you like this, of making love to you. Because this right here,” he murmured, placing his other hand over my heart, “is where I want to be. It’s where I’ve always wanted to be … it’s where I belong.”
- We only had to go down two more doors before he pressed me up against the wall and thrust his tongue in between my lips. Reaching between my legs to the waist of his jeans, I undid them and he let them fall to the floor. If only mine were gone I’d get him to take me against the wall and fuck me hard. I didn’t want it gentle tonight, I wanted it hard and fast.
USA TODAY Bestselling author, L.P. Dover, is the author of the Forever Fae series, as well as the Second Chances standalone series, and her NA romantic suspense standalone called Love, Lies, and Deception. She lives in the beautiful state of North Carolina with her husband, her two wild girls, and her rambunctious kitten Katrina.
Before she began her career in the literary world, L.P. Dover spent her years going to college and then graduated to cleaning teeth, which she loved doing. At least until the characters in her head called her away. She has never been the same since.